It’s been a long week and it’s not over yet. Been doing the working Mom/sick kid juggle a.k.a. trying to do it all and not doing much of anything well. I’ve been Worried Mama. I’ve been Sympathetic Mama. I’ve been Entertaining Mama. I’ve been Tradeoff Mama. I’ve been Sick Mama too. And today I’m Bitchy Mama. My patience has worn thin, I need uninterrupted sleep and to watch TV that is not animated.
These are the zero-tolerance rules that Bitchy Mama has set forth today for the kids:
- Any sentence starting with “I want” is being ignored.
- Any request that does not include the word “please” is being ignored.
- All and any whining is ignored.
- If you are yelling for me and I am in a different part of the house, you will be ignored. Come find me. Especially if it involves blood or other bodily fluids.
- If you are fighting, do not expect me to moderate. Work it out.
- Tattle-telling will get you nowhere, fast.
- If you do not listen to me, there’s a strong chance I will yell at you.
- If you need something and it is within reach, go get it yourself.
- I am the boss of you.
Let’s be clear. These are not rules that were implemented for the first time today. They are a constant – kind of. There’s usually a fair amount of latitude and negotiation involved; some give and take. But today I was The Enforcer. And it felt really good.
Bitchy Mama will hopefully be replaced by Sweet & Loving Mama tomorrow. But the zero-tolerance rules will remain.