This morning, I read a blog post that suggested that parenting magazines are making a mistake by catering so much to Moms and leaving Dads out. On the one hand, I agree – Dads these days play a large role in parenting and should be represented as such within parenting magazines. On the other hand, I’m not so sure that Dads turn to glossy magazines for parenting advice. I’m fairly sure they either speak with other Dads, follow a couple of Dad bloggers or wing it, the best they can.
I consider myself to be one lucky Mom as my husband has not only been a very participant Dad from the moment number one child popped out (actually, he didn’t just pop out but that’s another story) but he also makes me a better Mom. I observe the same in many of my friend’s husbands, as well as my brother and brothers-in-law, and it’s really heart-warming. These are the ways that my kids’ Dad is as good as (and often better than) their Mom:
- He folds the laundry (is there anything sexier, I ask.)
- He shares the school drop-offs and pickups.
- He cooks, shops, cleans, mends.
- He has cleaned up his fair share of poop and puke (though I always seem to be on the receiving end of the puke.)
- He encourages me to go out with my girlfriends at least once a month.
- He takes care of both kids one evening a week so I can work late.
- He shares taking the kids to their dentist/doctor appointments/playdates/birthday parties.
- He is a more-than-equal enforcer of discipline.
- He attends parent/teacher conferences with me.
- He does it all when I have to travel for work.
- He is super silly (which is the secret to our happy marriage.)
So yes, if the above tasks comprise what was once considered motherhood, then Dad is the new Mom and I see nothing wrong with that. The fact is that parenthood is wonderful and tough and incredible and exhausting and uplifting and messy and expensive and complicated and a lot of hard work. Having an equal partner makes it manageable and way more fun.
Hooray for Dads!
(Did I mention that my hubby is in the wine business – triple bonus for me!!!)