Resolutions – for real

I’ve always been one of those people who didn’t make resolutions. General betterment was always the goal. Nothing too specific to hold myself to. Can’t say for sure whether that approach ever really worked for. Here I am approaching the end of 2011 and I realize that specificity might actually be the key to betterment or, at the very least, nixing some behaviors I know I am guilty of.

So here goes, my resolutions for 2012 – for real:

– I will stop texting, emailing, tweeting and Facebooking while I am driving. Nothing is so important that it cannot wait.

– I will find a way to dance more. Dancing makes me happy.

– I will be more present with my kids and less present with my iPhone.

– I will read more than one book. Which was all that I read in 2011.

That’s it: just four resolutions. Do-able, right? Please, I urge you, hold me to them, esp #1.

Thanks for listening.

Advertisements

19 Comments

1. Yes, I agree that specific goals can be the key to betterment.

Good for you for being honest and hard on yourself about #1. It is so important. Where I live driving while talking on the phone without hands-free is illegal. When they put that law in place I forced myself to immediately adhere. I still talk hands-free on the phone sometimes while driving, but I try to avoid it.

2. Thx for reading and commenting Susan. #1 will indeed be the biggest challenge because I am a communications addict, I fully admit it. I work in the communications business where immediacy of response and action is what we feed on. And, because I am lucky enough to have some flexibility in my sked (so I can pick up/drop off kids) I feel I have to compensate somehow by being ‘present’ on email/Twitter… etc during my commute. But really, it all can wait 30-45 mins. It’s not life or death stuff but texting or tweeting can be. I have to kick this habit. It starts Jan 1.

3. Richard Whalen

/  December 28, 2011

Scouting has an “It can wait” campaign about texting a driving. I took the pledge but didn’t recommend friends, so I didn’t get the patch. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Boy-Scouts-of-America/113441755297?sk=app_255375827841224
    And don’t forget that with the “no texting while driving” rule goes no “checking in on foursquare while driving”.

I’ve heard that one approach to enforce the correct behavior is to put the phone in the glove box or trunk. If you have a blue-tooth setup in your car, then you are still connected if there is a really important phone call that you must answer, but otherwise it makes it harder to do the things that you shouldn’t do.

4. I’ve thought about just sticking the phone on the backseat and need to checkout a Bluetooth option for receiving calls. Also there are Siri style voice apps that enable you to place a call but you still need to view and touch the screen. Plus they don’t like my accent πŸ™‚

5. I really like your list, and thank you again for commenting on my post on Patch. πŸ™‚ I agree with the resolution to dance more. I started taking Zumba in the spring and dancing more helps with overall stress relief and is a great way to burn calories and tone!

• You are welcome. I did a load of Zumba two summers back when I was in between jobs and had the time. What I really love is swing dancing; sadly my husband has three left feet!!

6. Those definitely sound do-able! I love the “dancing more” one. I need to do more of that, also! Hope you have a terrific new year!

7. I’m definitely with you on putting down the iphone when I’m with my boyz. Happy new year and good luck to you on those!

8. Thx for the comment Karen. I am going to try to banish my iPhone from the time I walk in the door at the end of the day until the kids are asleep. Not going to be easy but they deserve it!

9. Anita

/  December 31, 2011

This is great Sam – I’ve always kind of done the general betterment thing and last year I got semi-specific and I do think it helped. This year, I am being very specific and just keeping it to one thing – wish me luck! πŸ™‚

10. Anita

/  December 31, 2011

and good luck to you!! πŸ™‚

11. Thanks! What’s your one thing Anita?

12. Hi Sam! I’ll be holding you to these! I do think you could get the hubbie to try swing dancing. There was a time he was very agile – he used to want to be a stunt man when he was a kid! Not saying he can dance, mind you – but he could at least spick you up and twirl you!

• Thx KA! D & I did some swing dancing way back before kids; he was enthusiastic but not – um – a natural! Plus he would break all the rules. What a surprise. Anyway, I shall dance in 2012 with him or without him πŸ™‚

13. Great list, Sam! With you on the “it can wait” resolution, one of my biggest issues is using Google Maps for directions while in the car, it’s not hands-free like standard GPS, you ever have that problem? As for dancing, not sure anyone wants me to dance more – plus it doesn’t particularly make me happy πŸ™‚

• I use a nav so that’s not a problem I have – unless the nav is outta batteries or being borrowed. Did you make any resolutions?

1. 2012 is the year that … « Keeping the Glass Half Full