Like so many of us, it wasn’t until I became a mother that I realized how very special my own Mum/Mom is. I mean I already knew she was the best Mom on Earth, but until it was my turn, I did not appreciate the incredible super powers that (magically?) come with the role.
- She has eyes in the back of her head. (Well of course I was going to start with that one!)
- Tooth fairy.
- She can heal an ouchie with her kiss.
- Instant lie detection capability.
- She has the uncanny ability to know where almost any lost item can be found.
- She can see a meltdown coming and immediately activate diversionary tactics.
- She is primed and ready for all potential eventualities and is equipped with wipes, band aids, snacks, motrin, books, toys, bibs, play dough, markers, more snacks, sparkles, glue sticks, more snacks, tiara, scrunchies – and not forgetting spare undies and socks.
- She can scare off anything that goes bump in the night.
- She has lightening speed reactions – can catch a cup before it spills, protect a little head before it bumps something.
- She can tune out the whining, or incessantly repetitive book reading/song playing …. most of the time (my daughter calls this my “ray shield force.”)
- Through creativity and sheer survival instinct, she has the power to convert a no into a yes. (Or, at best, a “fine!” delivered with crossed arms and a pout.)
- She can detect her own child’s cry from among hundreds of other kids and from a 10,000-meter range.
- Similarly, within nanoseconds, she can determine from a single cry, whether her child is hurt, sick, hungry, tired or just faking.
- And, with just one look or touch, she can tell if her kid has a fever or is about to puke.
- She sends them off to the land of nod knowing they are safe and loved – every single night until they leave for colleage.
To those of you who say they did not get memo (that’d be you @ChantalSaville) I don’t believe it for a moment. With motherhood comes the instant super power to love something more than you’ve ever imagined possible. As well as a deeper, more infinite appreciation for wine, alone time, the spa, ice cream, other Moms … and so on.
Happy Friday, to all my fellow Moms with Super Powers!