I’m not ashamed to say that I can’t wait for summer camp to be done. We have One.More.Day. Tomorrow, with a boatload of glee and relief, we’ll be putting the kids on the bus for their last day of YMCA summer camp this year. They have had an awesome awesome summer but it’s definitely time for everyone to resume the structure of the school year. Of course, while there are many reasons to love summer camp, there are also quite a few things I will not miss …. until next summer rolls around.
- The compressed, fractious mornings: no matter how early we all get up and how organized we are, the last few minutes of getting ready to get out the door is always high drama and stress
- Mud in lunch boxes and backpacks
- Stains: there are regular stains and there are summer camp stains which require either boiling or disposal
- Having to wake up my daughter early: an ugly preview of what her teens will surely be like
- Damp, stinky towels that have been dragged through dirt and then stuffed into backpacks
- Lost items galore
- “Hey mama, I have to wear red all week” (she has no red clothes)
- The constant warring over whether Pokemon cards, devices and “guys” (Hero Factory/Chima characters) can go with them to camp (answer: no)
- The discovery of said contraband being snuck into backpacks
- Dirt bombs in their hair that take more than 2-3 showers/shampoos to remove
- Torture by “this is a repeat-after-me” camp songs
I know, I know. In a few week’s time, I’ll be all involved in homework, PTO guilt and all that school stuff and will long for the “carefree” days of summer camp. But right now, I’m so very glad that it’s almost over.